Case Study: Sydney Metro
Transport for New South Wales (TfNSW) required workforce development advisory services for it’s Sydney Metro Program.
Sydney Metro is the first fully automated rapid transit railway system in Australia. It was also the first major infrastructure project in Australia to include socio-economic requirements in its contracts. It is supported through government-led delivery programs providing local employment, workforce upskilling, apprenticeships and workforce diversity.
We helped establish Sydney Metro's pre-employment programs
We advised on the planning and delivery of Sydney Metro’s workforce development strategy, providing future skills for civil infrastructure in New South Wales and across Australia.
We helped with:
- Assisting government-led delivery programs which created employment, up-skilling of the workforce, apprenticeships and workforce diversity
- Establishing a Skills and Employment Advisory Group (in 2014) which is now recognised as a best practice collaborative model for the delivery of skills and jobs through infrastructure investment
- Developing the Sydney Metro Industry Curriculum (SMIC) with mandatory training across critical skills areas to achieve minimum standards of competency
- Establishing the NSW Infrastructure Skills Centre in 2017. This is a refurbished TAFE site designed to meet the needs of Sydney Metro and other infrastructure projects. Claire Parry led the project and gained agreement for full funding from TAFE NSW and the Commonwealth Department of Jobs and Small Business. It was the first Integrated Employment and Skills (IES) centre in NSW.
- Establishing Sydney Metro pre-employment programs, apprenticeship and traineeship programs and developing new skill sets to support the operation of new autonomous trains
We helped to create:
- New sustainable jobs
- Apprentices and trainees
- Employees that undertook nationally accredited training and were placed into the workforce across Greater Western Sydney
- Aboriginal participation and movement of the long-term unemployed into new sustainable jobs
- Pre-employment programs. The Sydney Metro pre-employment programs won the NSW Premier’s Award 2015 – Making NSW a Better Place to Live
- SMIC accredited training programs
- Establishment of a Skills and Employment Advisory Group
The project was so successful that the workforce development procurement and client-led delivery strategy contractual requirements have been replicated across other projects including Regional Rail, Sydney Light Rail and Canberra Light Rail.
We were also part of the winning team for the Sydney Metro Gamechanger Innovation Award 2017 for the NSW Infrastructure Skills Centre & Sydney Metro Industry Curriculum.